Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Pinoy rock

    I just saw the Red Horse Beer ad.

    IT WAS AWESOME.

    Though I doubt anyone but a few would appreciate it. But I was surprised to find that "Pinoy Rock" is an actual entry in Wikipedia. Bravo Filipino community. You do care. I could almost cry.

    Some people would find it weird that I, a barely legal (spare me the innuendos, please) college kid would find something like this interesting. But really. Pepe Smith, Basti and Ely (who still rocks despite being a Class A prima donna, A being A-hole) in a single commercial. THEY SHOULD MAKE AN ALBUM. COME ON. These guys are like, the counterparts of the Beatles, the Who, the Rolling Stones, and all those classic rock acts here in the Philippines. I'm not exagerrating. The only reason people don't know that is because these Pinoy rockers are merely a footnote to Pinoy "rock", which is everything from them to manufactured mass-oriented pop rock bands (I'm not naming Hale, Cueshe, Spongecola.. oops). No worries, I'm not saying they suck as a whole. They have some good moments. But they're just like the bubblegum rock that's popular elsewhere. They're not... well, rock. Where are the riffs, the hooks, the melodies, the lyrics that may actually mean something. No emo stuff. Maybe it's just me.

    The States has a very glorified history of rock, with Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Metallica, Iron Maiden, et cetera, et cetera. I just wish we had something like that here too. I may not be a musician, but I am a musician fan.

    I am fervently wishing that Red Horse commissions these guys to make an album. Even just a compilation. I'll definitely buy it. I mean buy it buy it, not just download it. Nothing like grabbing a piece of history for posterity, right? Though I doubt that will happen. With commercialization, that's just not possible. * Sigh *

    I will end this post with a link to the advertisement and the Wikipedia article. Enjoy.

    P.S. I WANT A POSTER OF THEIR LAST SHOT. SO AWESOME.

    P.S.S. I CAN'T FIND MY BROTHER'S COPY OF ACOUSTICA. Major fail. :(


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinoy_rock

No comments: